Thursday, October 18, 2012

Flourless, sugarless banana muffins!!

Last week I could feel a weak moment with snacking approaching so quickly ran into the kitchen and tried to pull something satisfying and healthy together. This is what came out of that:

GUILT FREE Banana Oatmeal Muffins


This was the product of an emergency moment so no time to source a recipe or even work out exact measurements. I set out expecting to be eating mushy banana porridge by the end of this. But miraculously it worked.

What I found in the kitchen:
  • About a cup of steel cut oats
  • Half a cup of LSA meal (linseed, sunflower and almond)
  • Tblsp of chia seeds
  • Tsp baking powder (assumed this was needed..even though I had no flour to make rise :p)
  • An egg white or two in a dash of milk
  • Cup of mashed banana
  • Cinnamon
  • Squirt of Australian Capilano honey (the best!)
  
I just combined the above ingredients until the batter looked like the consistency of something I would normally spoon into a muffin tray. I had the oven preheated to 180deg (356degF) and they took less than 20 mins to rise and produce a clean fork when tested.

I was expecting to need to eat this with a little honey or jam as it has no sugar in it. But no, the mashed banana and capilano honey gave it all the beautiful sweetness it needed.

I ate one on the spot and threw the rest in the freezer before I could get to them. Took one to uni this week and it had defrosted by morning tea time, and had retained its moisture and flavour! The LSA and banana kept me full, while the Chia would have provided the much needed energy for the 90min kanji class that followed.

Hope if you give this a go it works for you too! Just get creative and give it a shot. What’s the worst that could happen? You end up enjoying some delicious banana porridgy thing instead :p

No comments:

Post a Comment