Thursday, October 25, 2012

Get out of the house!

So my running has been going great. I am now varying from 4km on a busy day to 7km on a relaxed morning. Aiming to hit the 8km mark this Saturday:) 3.5weeks til the 10km race!

Apart from that, all I've been doing is sitting at my desk trying to study Japanese (exam 4 weeks away), which is often broken up with A LOT of net-surfing different running websites, health food blogs and ideas for things to do when Scott gets here (3.5 weeks!!). So by the end of the day I feel like I've spent the WHOLE day at the computer doing..shit all. This really depresses me.

Yesterday I was up at 5:30 and went for a great 7.5 km run. Had showered, enjoyed a raw pumpkin, persimmon and oatmeal thickshake, and was at my desk, text books open by 9.

I actually did pretty well, staying pretty focussed on my grammar and kanji work books and before I knew it, it was 12:30 and I was hungry! So I went down stairs and enjoyed a deliciously bowl of orange, carrot, spinach, pumpkin and parsely soup. Yum yum, full tummy. Felt tops by this point of the day.
But I did not want to return upstairs to my room of poopy study. So I figured I should have a half a hot chocolate as I'd been so good today. This one half a hot chocolate turned into, nibbling on sugary granola in front of my laptop in the kitchen. No one was home so I felt free to raid the snack box of spiced rice crackers and salted peanuts. It hit 2:30pm and I was still down stairs netsurfing. Feeling really guilty about 1. lack of study and 2. the mindless snacking. Then the boyf rang!!

As always he saved the day. He was quite set in the opinion that I needed to get out of the house and do something that made me feel like I was giving myself enough of a break, so that by the time I was done I would feel ready for real study, and not the half-hearted stuff I've been complaining to him about all week. When Scott suggests something I always feel like I should do it even when I really don't feel like he sees things from the outside, and can see what will make me happy in the end. Grrr.

He suggested I ride my bike to the gym and spend a litle time in the sauna and hot baths. I figured that was a great idea as the bike ride would blunten my granola-guilt. As always, I took this one step furthur and spent 20mins on treddy on max incline, then did 20mins of arm strength machines. I felt healthy and alive again! I topped it off with 5 minutes in the sauna talking to some Japanese grannies about how cute the actor on Tv was, and soaked for another 10. I was pretty much smiling the whole 20min bike ride home. Felt like me again. I got home and studied PROPERLY for a good two hours before dinner...and then PROPERLY took the evening off with a movie and some blogtrolling.

Proof to Scott I was out!
Just quickly, I tried this method again today, studing PROPERLY in the morning, then when things at the desk started to get slack I picked up the books and studied across the road in the park for a good 90mins.
 Now my study is done and I am going to enjoy lunch and watch the next episode of The Compassionate Brain and go for my run. Once the run is done I'm sure I'll be in the right mindset for some a good two hours study before dinner!

Moral of the story is:

1. If you want to get things done properly you must take breaks properly.
2. Get out of the house at least once during the day to clear the mind. Not through net-surfing, channel flicking and eating!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the 'moral of the story'. I really really need to do that. I'll give it a go!!!